Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Joy in Knowing the Scripture

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

When I think about the times that I’ve experienced the greatest joy, contentment, courage, and confidence in God, it’s in the times when I’ve been most devoted to the study of, and meditation on, Scripture. When I was in Bible College, I used to make up 3X5 cards with Scripture verses on one side and the “address” on the other. I carried them with me everywhere. When I was at a signal light waiting for it to turn green, I’d try to memorize the passage or address. I credit those times for my faith and attitude being renewed. I also think that by focusing on the Word, my heart and mind were inclined toward God. 

God’s love and power are poured into us as we take in Scripture. The Psalmist knew this only too well. He taught that when we walk with integrity, following the instructions of the Lord, great joy is the result [119.1 - NLT]. There’s justification for that joy because, as we walk in His statutes, we refrain from compromising with evil [119.3 - NLT].

The Psalmist went so far as to recite the statutes of the Lord aloud. He found it delightful [119.13-16]. I suggest we do the same. Whether aloud or in silence, let’s fill our minds with God’s Word. When we do, God fills us with His wisdom, which guides us through the ongoing, ever-changing, seasons of life.

Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the LORD. Psalm 119.1 - NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment