Sunday, June 29, 2014

Dependent On A Great God

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I’m not an artist, nor do I have the slightest understanding of the subject. When I was in Jr. High School, Art was a required subject for graduation. I was failing the class when my teacher sent me to the office thinking that I was purposefully messing up my assignments. She knew I was a straight-A student and didn’t think there was a legitimate reason for my failure. 

Believe it or not, I had to sit with the school psychologist for a couple of weeks while I endured a series of tests. She recorded what I already knew, Art was not for me! So they allowed me to take an extra music class to satisfy the Art requirement.

That’s why I have some serious questions for legitimate artists, especially those grand artists of the past. For example, when did Michelangelo know that the Sistine Chapel was perfect, and that it was time to stop working on it? How in the world did Leonardo da Vinci know that he got Mona Lisa’s smile just right? Or how about Rodin? When did he know that he shouldn’t add another pound of bronze for the casting of The Thinker? It really is amazing what mere mortals can do. 

It’s even harder trying to grasp how God, in creating the universe, came to the conclusion that one more star would be too many, or one less star would be insufficient. Not only that, but the Scriptures declares that He gave each of them a name. Mind boggling! 

A Christ follower is truly blessed to be dependent on such a One. This great God gave His Son to redeem us from our sins. This great God gives assurance of His providential care. This great God constantly reminds us in the Sacred Text that He loves us, and that nothing, absolutely nothing, is able to dislodge us from the clutch of His deep love for us.

Look up into the heavens. Who created all the stars? He brings them out one after another, calling each by its name. And he counts them to see that none are lost or have strayed away. Isaiah 40:26

No comments:

Post a Comment