Monday, June 23, 2014

Promises, Promises

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I’d really like for you to be honest with me. If I were to say to you, “Hey, Bill [pretend your name is Bill], I’m going to die this Friday. And, oh, by the way, I’ll come back from the dead and pay you a visit on Monday,” what would you think? Would you be kind and say, “Rick is a little off today and needs to adjust his medication?” Or would you be brutally honest and say, “Rick has completely lost his mind?” Truth be told, I’m guessing you picked option 2. 

Now, what would you think if Friday came and, sure enough, Rick was in the obituary of your local newspaper. And, lo and behold, on Monday, I came by your house to join you for dinner. Now I’m guessing you’d really be amazed, or pretty much scared out of your wits. But there is one thing you would have to admit, Rick kept his promise.  

That was a poor parable because it would be laughable of me to make such a claim. But that is exactly what Jesus said, and DID! 

There is a great truth here, and it’s one that I cling to desperately: You can trust each and every promise that Jesus made. He said our sins are forgiven, and they are! He said He will always be with us, and He is! He said that He is presently preparing a place for us in heaven so that we can be with Him forever, and we will! You can count on it, Jesus will keep His promises—every one of them! 

How do I know that? Because He rose from the dead, just like He said He would do. 

Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.” The Jews replied, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and You are going to raise it in three days?” But the temple He had spoken of was His body. After He was raised from the dead, His disciples recalled what He had said. Then they believed the Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken. John 2:19-22

No comments:

Post a Comment