Wednesday, October 15, 2014

A Timely Word

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

For me, it’s usually about 5 minutes. That’s about how long it takes for me to walk away from a conversation and think, “I wish I would have said this!” Solomon had it right when he said there is joy in “a timely word.” I just wish I knew what that felt like!

I learned a good lesson about this many years ago, when a friend of mine was at a hospital preparing for surgery. I went to visit him and share a devotion before he went “under.” I didn’t read a passage about how God would keep him safe or that everything was going to turn out fine. Instead, I read a passage about God’s abundant forgiveness and reminded my friend that he was going into surgery completely forgiven by his loving Savior. 

Later, when I visited my friend in recovery, he told me that those words were exactly what he needed to hear, and that he went into surgery filled with peace and confidence.

Here’s the point. Most of us are not good with a quick come back for a Christ following friend who is down, or grieving, or depressed, or fallen, or doubtful, et al. Don’t think that you have to come up with something witty or clever. Most often, the simple Good News of the Lord’s forgiveness is all they need. Why? Because we are often plagued by the guilt of our actions [or inactions], and knowledge of our Savior’s loving forgiveness is the antidote.  

Be the kind of friend to talk about God’s overwhelming forgiveness. The Lord is like that, you know. The Psalmist described Him as One who is good, ready and abundant in forgiveness and mercy [Psalm 86:5].

A man has joy in an apt answer, and how delightful is a timely word! Proverbs 15:23

No comments:

Post a Comment