Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Delight Yourself in the Word

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

When I was a young Christ follower, my pastor told me that “meditation” was something that only Eastern Religions do. I think he had in mind of someone sitting cross-legged on a mat with thumb and middle finger forming a circle, while quietly chanting, “Ohm - Ohm - Ohm,” in an attempt to become one with the universe. I’m not bespeaking that practice, I’m simply telling you that in my initial walk with Christ, I rejected meditation.

But as I began to read the Bible, I soon discovered many passages that encouraged the practice of meditation—especially on the Word of God. So, how does one go about the practice of meditation on the Word? 

In the New Testament, the Greek word for meditate is logidzomai. It’s an accounting term, of which the primary meaning is, to take an inventory. In that sense, meditation is not the loss of consciousness, but, rather a fully engaged mind that ‘thinks,’ ‘ponders,’ ‘reasons’ what God is communicating in His Word.

I meditate on God’s Word by asking questions about what I am reading.

Is there a sin to confess? The Holy Spirit often uses the Word to make me aware of something that I need to make right with God.

Is there an attitude to change? The Holy Spirit often nudges me to deal with negative attitudes like, worry, doubt, fear, bitterness, PRIDE, and more.

Is there a command to obey? I must obey God’s commands whether I feel like it or not.

Is there an example to follow? Of course you can, and should, learn from your own experiences. But a wise person will also learn from the experiences of others, both positively and negatively.

Is there a prayer to pray? I often pray the great prayers found in the Bible. I especially like the prayers of Paul found in many of his letters in the New Testament. 

Is there a truth to believe? The Bible makes truth claims about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, history past, future predictions, heaven and hell, and much more. I find I am more stable in my relationship with God when I align myself with those truths.

Is there something to praise God about? God inhabits the praise of His special people [Psalm 22:3]. My walk with the Lord is more joyful the more I praise Him!

I hope this will encourage you to spend more time in the Word, and find your delight in it! 

But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night. Psalm 1:2

No comments:

Post a Comment