Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Be Quick to Hear the Word

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

My pastor wrote this in my first Bible: “God’s Word will keep you from sin. Sin will keep you from God’s Word.” I have hidden those words in my heart all these years and have found them to be true.

The recipients of James teaching lacked wisdom and were falling into temptation and sin. So he called them back to the Word for its sanctifying power. He told them to be “quick to hear.” The idea of that is to not disregard or fight against God’s Word. Another way to say that is, receive the counsel you read in God’s Word and be willing to obey it. 

God provides all the nourishment you need for your spiritual life through His Word. Armed with His wisdom, you can stand against all spiritual adversaries. Paul agrees and told Timothy that the inspired Word “equips” the Christ follower “for every good work” [2 Timothy 3:16-17]. That’s because the Word engages you in communion with almighty God. So welcome the Word as a most valued friend.

Be quick to hear by pursuing every opportunity to learn God’s truth. The Psalmist knew the value of that. He cried out, “O how I love Thy law. It is my meditation day and night” [Psalm 119:97]. The Word touched him so deeply, he put away sin to honor it, “I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep Your Word” [Psalm 119:101].

Being quick to hear involves a proper attitude toward God’s Word.

I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep Your word. Psalm 119:101

No comments:

Post a Comment