Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Bitter or Better

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

Difficulties in life are unavoidable. They are part of our fallen condition. And just so we would not forget it, Jesus reminded us about it too, “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in Me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world” [John 16:33].

No one enjoys the hardships in life, but they do serve a purpose for Christ followers - they will make you bitter or better. Here’s an important thing for you to know, you are the one who decides which direction the difficulty will take you. You can trust Christ and get better, or you can turn from Him and become bitter. 

I’m saddened when I hear someone say, “I’ve lost my faith through this.” For some reason, they thought they should have been protected from their particular tragedy. That false expectation came out during the trial. One of my Bible College professors was fond of saying, “Christians are like a sponge. You can tell what’s in them when they get wrung out.” 

The point is, trials and tribulations take our faith from the realm of theory to reality. It’s one thing to talk about our faith, but it’s another thing to live by it. Difficulties in life reveal what we are really made of. Trials and tribulations do not create character; they reveal it. 

Faith that cannot be tested cannot be trusted.

Yet He knows the way I have taken; when He has tested me, I will emerge as pure gold.  Job 23:10

No comments:

Post a Comment