Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Why?

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

In trying to wrap my head around the recent, horrific tragedies in our nation and around the world, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve asked God, “Why?” There’s nothing necessarily wrong with asking the question. Bible characters asked it too. And then it strikes me that if God were to answer my question, would it satisfy me or only be a cause for more questions; after all, His thoughts and ways are far higher than mine! [Isaiah 55:9]. Yet I still wonder, “Why?”

There are a lot of “Whys?” in life. 

Why did my soul-mate have to die?
Why do I have cancer?
Why did my friend die in a car accident?
Why did the fire burn down my house and not my neighbors?
Why did this person die in the shooting and not that person?
Why? Why? Why? 

“I don’t know why.” That’s my answer. I’m OK with that. One of my Seminary professors use to say, “Never trade what you do know for what you don’t know!” What do I know?

I know that God loves me.
I know that Christ died for me.
I know that God works all things out for my good and His glory.
I know I have an eternal home that Jesus has prepared for me.

Chuck Swindol wrote this in his commentary of Job:

“God never promised He would inform us all about His plan ahead of time; He's just promised He has one. Ultimately, it's for our good and His glory. He knows–we don't. That's why we shrug and admit, 'I don't know.’"

Today, I’m disturbed, outraged, and feeling vulnerable to the actions of fallen, sinful mankind. At the same time, I’m confident and secure that God is at work, accomplishing His mysterious, at times frustrating, unknowable plan.

The Lord our God has secrets known to no one. We are not accountable for them, but we and our children are accountable forever for all that He has revealed to us, so that we may obey all the terms of these instructions. Deuteronomy 29:29 (New Living Translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment