Monday, June 27, 2016

Divine Discontent

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

One of the things that really excites me about being a Christ follower is divine discontent. That may sound strange to some of you. How does discontentment fit in with the joy and satisfaction of knowing your sins are forgiven and that a place is reserved for you in heaven?

The answer is simple. Divine discontent doesn’t have anything to do with my salvation - my position in Christ. It has to do with my walk. I’m not satisfied that my walk is a mirror of who Jesus is therefore, I long to be be more like Him. Does that resonate with you? 

If you think of divine discontent that way, then the Psalmist wrote the cry of your heart when he said, “I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness” [Psalm 17:15]. There’s my divine discontent. I want to be more like Jesus and I won’t be satisfied until I am.

I have a theory about this. A true Christ follower hungers and thirsts to be righteous, to be like Jesus. Unfortunately, many will spoil their appetite by snacking in between meals. There are things, relationships, and pursuits in life that, while harmless in and of themselves, take the edge off the godly appetite we should have. 

I know the best way to deal with them is to ask yourself: Does this pursuit make me more or less hungry for spiritual things? Does it draw me closer, or keep me away from Jesus? Does this pursuit weigh me down in the race of life? 

I also know that if you hunger and thirst for righteousness, to be like Jesus, you will be filled [see Matthew 5:6]. 

So, are you hungry or have you been snacking too much lately? If so, lay aside the snacks and feast on Jesus. Keep pursuing righteousness.

Seek the Lord and His strength; seek His face always. Psalm 105:4

No comments:

Post a Comment