Monday, January 16, 2017

From Covetousness to Contentment

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I think it is safe to say that everyone experiences discontentment on occasion — discontent being a wistful wishing that life was somehow different. Some have suggested that kind of discontentment leads to sin because, through it, we become covetous, craving for things that don’t belong to us, thus becoming greedy and envious. “If only I had what ‘they’ have, I would be happier in life. If only… If only… If only…” That kind of discontent may not only lead to covetousness, but also to self-pity and misery.

There are many Scriptures that speak to that kind of discontent. Luke 12.15 comes to mind, “Then He said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.

There is another approach to this because not all discontentment is bad. One of the definitions of discontent is a dissatisfaction for a level of achievement. To a Christ follower, this may equate with the desire to be more like Christ. In other words, it can be a positive motivator for godly change in our lives. It can serve as a warning sign that we need to make changes in our walk with God, which leads to more contentment. Contented, we can face life’s ‘detours’ and ‘roadblocks’ looking to trust God in new ways, which bring glory to Him. 

That’s what the Apostle Paul discovered: “Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength” [Philippians 4.11-13].  

Keep growing in Christlikeness. That’s moving from covetousness to contentment.

Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13.5

No comments:

Post a Comment