Monday, January 9, 2017

Remember God Moments

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I’ve read numerous book about how to “build up” my faith. Some of them were helpful and some of them, well, not so much. I read them because throughout my Christian life, I’ve been urged to have more faith. In former days, I groped for answers. I, along with my Bible College and Seminary friends, wanted more faith. We were willing to try anything to achieve that goal. So the question is: How do you build up your faith?

Many years ago, I was struck by passages that seemed to leap off the pages of my Bible. It started with the Passover, “Then Moses said to the people, ‘Remember this day in which you came out from Egypt” [Exodus 13.3]. 

There was a reason behind the Lord’s command, “And it shall be to you as a sign on your hand and as a memorial between your eyes’” [Exodus 13.9]. 

Remember. Commemorate. In other words, don’t forget. As I kept searching the Scriptures with “fresh eyes,” I began to see it everywhere!

Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life” [Deuteronomy 4.9].

You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm” [Deuteronomy 5.15].

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits” [Psalm 103:2].

Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first” [Revelation 2:5].

What struck me is that there is no “secret” when it comes to building your faith. What is true, however, is that your faith remains and grows by remembering what God has done for others, and for YOU. 

That’s the key: Remember, recount, rehearse, recite the things that God has done in your life. He has always been there because you are a citizen of His kingdom. The more you recall what God has done in your life, the more your faith will grow. 

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. Hebrews 11.1-2 

No comments:

Post a Comment