Thursday, January 12, 2017

Govern Yourself

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

The title of this eDevotion is Govern Yourself. I could have said it another way that is more familiar to you: Self-Control. To govern yourself is to control your attitudes and actions without external coercion. In my way of thinking, it is the foundation upon which governing rests, because those who cannot govern themselves must be controlled another way, by others. The ultimate goal of a Christ follower, then, is to govern oneself under Christ. 

Governing yourself has serious implications, not the least of which is that you, and you alone, are responsible to God for what you do. When standing before God, you can’t call on witnesses to defend yourself; no politician, pastor, family member, or friend can speak up on your behalf. That may sound frightful, but it doesn’t have to be, depending on the way you govern your life under Christ. 

We all need help governing our sinful flesh to keep it under control. And, thankfully, we have it. Self-Governing is a Fruit of the Spirit. You know it by its other name, Self-Control. The holy Spirit of God has given His Fruit to each Christ follower, making Self-Governing possible. While He won’t do the work for you, He is ready with enabling power, supporting your resolve to keep the flesh at bay. 

I prayed a short prayer this morning about this very thing. Part of the prayer was, “Lord, I know I’m responsible for the choices I make. Good or bad, I have no one to blame but myself. Remind me to keep that reality on the front burner so that I choose to better please you in what I say, what I think, and what I do.”

For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Galatians 5.13a

No comments:

Post a Comment