Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Let's Eat

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

My Mother told me about a time she was babysitting our son, Greg. She and my Dad had gotten busy doing something and didn’t stop for lunch. Some time in the afternoon, my son pull on my Mom’s dress and said, “Grandma, let’s eat!”

The body needs food for strength. It’s the same with your spirit. You need spiritual food to stay strong. The best food you can “eat” is the Bible. In it’s pages, you’ll find water, milk, bread, and meat (the Bible is called all of these things) for your spiritual life. It provides everything you need for sustenance.

Maybe the reason some Christ followers have so little success in winning spiritual battles is they are starving to death. It’s critical that we feed on the Word of God. What I find interesting is that when I eat food, I get full. But when I eat the Word, I get hungrier! The more I “taste and see that the Lord is good,” the more of Him I want. 

So, how do you fill up on God’s Word? Here are a few suggestions:

Receive the Word with your ears. Go to church and listen to the Word of God as it is taught by gifted teachers.

Read the Word with your eyes. Find time every day to get away with your Bible and read the text. If you start with just 5 minutes a day, it won’t be long until you’ll crave more. 

Write the Word with your hands. As you study, take note of what God teaches you. Write the lessons down. Tell your loved ones and friends what you are learning.

Reflect on the Word with your mind. Stew on it. That’s an old fashioned way to say, meditate on the Word.

Remember the Word with your heart. Commit God’s Word to memory. You may not have a Bible handy when you need it. 

Search for the LORD and for His strength; always seek His presence. 1 Chronicles 16.11

No comments:

Post a Comment