Wednesday, March 11, 2015

You, Too, Can be Humble

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

A Christ follower will never learn to walk in humility until he recognizes his sinfulness. There is an easier way. Just read my book, You, Too, Can be Humble. [That was supposed to be a joke!]

Someone asked me once, “Pastor Rick, when did you overcome pride in your life?” I told him, “Well, it was about six years ago. I removed every vestige of pride from my life, and haven’t had a problem with it since. And, let me tell you, it really is great being in a constant state of humility.” 

OK, back to reality. A Christ follower never completely overcomes the problem of pride. Truth is, it’s a daily struggle. Satan sees to that. To overcome pride in even one area of your life is a difficult task. The apostle Paul knew that only too well, so he told the Ephesian Christ followers to walk in “ALL humility.” Evidently, walking in “some” humility just isn’t enough! Total, complete humility is what we’re shooting for. I don’t know of any Christ follower who has accomplished that, but it is our lofty goal.

The question begs to be asked, “How do we do it? Where do we start?” I’m suggesting that humility starts with self-awareness—an honest evaluation of who we really are. We are sinners and need to humble ourselves before God and daily confess our sins before Him. You’re probably saying, but Pastor Rick, aren’t we supposed to make positive confessions about ourselves? Like, “I am a child of God.” “God is my Abba, Daddy.” “I am a ‘joint-heir’ with Jesus.” “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

Yes, all of that is true. But can you say it humbly! And think about this. Paul, evaluating himself, said, “I am the foremost of sinners!” [1 Timothy 1:15]. Even he recognized that he hadn’t reached the goal yet [see Philippians 3:12-14.] It’s easier to be humble when you remember, as the old-country preacher once said, “You ain’t there yet!”

One more thing. When it comes to your humility, please steer clear of the comparison trap. Paul warned the Corinthian Christ followers about that, and the advice is good for us as well. He said, “We are not bold to class or compare ourselves with some of those who commend themselves; but when they measure themselves by themselves, and compare themselves with themselves, they are without understanding”[2 Corinthians 10:12].

Humility begins when we see ourselves as unworthy sinners. Therefore, let’s recognize our sinfulness and daily confess our sins to God.

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. With all humility and gentleness, be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment