Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Why Pray When You Can Worry?

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

I’ve said it before in other eDevotions, but it bears repeating: Worry is the most common sin of Christ followers. Are you weary of bearing unconfessed worries in your heart? Do they weigh heavily on you and rob you of the joy of the Lord, which is your strength? [Nehemiah 8:10]

Then here is your task for the day, dear Christ follower: “Cast all your cares [and worries] on [Christ] because He cares for you!”  [1 Peter 5:7]

The German word for worry means, to strangle. The Greek word means, to divide the mind. Both of these words are spot on. Worry is both like a noose around your neck and a distraction of your mind. Neither of them is suitable for joy.

Confessing your worry to God is the very best thing you can do. To be frank, God doesn’t need to hear it as much as you need to say it. Perhaps you think your worry is too small of a thing to mention or too large of a thing to be forgiven. That is not for you to decide! Your task is to be completely honest before the Lord.

When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat.  

Interlude 

Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the LORD.” And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone. Psalm 32:3-5 

No comments:

Post a Comment