Monday, August 19, 2013

Ambassadors for Christ


eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

Whenever I come across Christ followers, past or present that have endured hardships, I am encouraged. Years ago I read about the imprisonment of Watchman Nee. Fearing that he would keep leading guards to Christ, the government began changing his guards daily—and justifiably so, because many of them had become Christ followers.

Centuries before him, the apostle Paul was under similar circumstances. In his letter to Ephesus, he described himself as an “ambassador in chains” [Ephesians 6:20]. Although he was locked away in a Roman prison, he never let his circumstances diminish his joy in the Lord. You never hear from him, “I’m done.” “ That’s it.” “Let’s get this over with because I’m finshed.” Never!

His imprisonment seemed to embolden his witness for Christ. He was neither intimidated nor ashamed. And he knew that he would make it. Listen to how he concludes his letter to the Philippian Christ followers: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” [Philippians 4:13].

You don’t have to be defined by your past, nor chained to your current circumstance. You are an ambassador for Christ with work to do. So keep growing. Keep getting bolder in your witness, even in the middle of your trials and tribulations. 

...and pray for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in proclaiming it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. Ephesians 6:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment