Friday, August 30, 2013

Full of Grace and Truth


eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

One of my favorite statements about Jesus is the last phrase of John 1:14. It says He was “…full of grace and truth.”

He demonstrated this on many occasions, but the one that captures my heart is found in John 8, where a woman was caught in the very act of adultery. She was whisked away and brought in into His presence. Her sin was exposed and her conviction sure. But then an amazing thing happened. 

Her accusers, the self-righteous religious leaders, hated Jesus with such contempt that they wanted to use the Law to condemn Him even if it meant sacrificing the woman. But Jesus, being “full of truth,” turned that hatred into conviction ("let him who has no sin cast the first stone"). Likewise, being “full of grace,” he freed her (“neither do I condemn you”), and restored her life (“go and sin no more”).

I’m an awful lot like the woman in this story—“guilty of sin.” And I have an accuser, one that is relentless in bringing every one of my sins to God. But my Savior, “full of grace and truth” forgives and restores. I stand amazed, and grateful, at His grace!

Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?" 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, "Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more." John 8:3-5, 10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment