Tuesday, July 30, 2013

“That’s Enough!”


eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

A minister called in the sermon title to his local newspaper.
“What are you talking about, preacher?” the editor asked.
"The Lord is My Shepherd," he said.
"Is that all?"
"That's enough," the pastor replied.
When the paper was delivered, the preacher was surprised to see his sermon title: The Lord is My Shepherd—That's Enough.
The pastor was thrilled with the title and used it to the delight and benefit of the congregation. Because the Lord is my shepherd, I do not lack anything.
Once when studying Psalm 23, I ran across this quote from Ray Stedman, pastor of Peninsula Bible Church:
“It struck me as I was reading this psalm that there are really only two options in life. If the Lord is my shepherd, then I shall not want; but if I am in want, then it is obvious that the Lord is not my shepherd. It is that simple. If our vocation shepherds us, then there is restlessness and feverish activity and frustration. If education is our shepherd, then we are constantly being disillusioned. If another person is our shepherd, we are always disappointed, and ultimately we are left empty. If drug abuse is our shepherd, then ‘we are wasted,’ as one rock artist said. But if the Lord is our shepherd, David says, we shall not want.
If emptiness, loneliness, despair, frustration, hopelessness, or wants exist in our lives, then the Lord is not our shepherd. Can we recognize His call to rescue us?”
The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. (Psalm 23:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment